Wall Mount Electric Fireplace Installation - Easy as 1, 2, Wow!
How easy is it to install a wall mounted electric fireplace?
SPOILER ALERT: Very easy.
If you're planning to switch from a traditional chimney fireplace into a wall mount fireplace, it usually doesn’t take more than an hour to install one. With the right tools and know-how, it can be done in half an hour. It’s almost like hanging a large picture frame or mirror, but instead of looping wire over a set of screws, this type of fireplace is attached to a mounting bracket.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Always, always, always refer to the manufacturer diagrams and owner's/installation manual. Although suitable for a DIY'er, you don't want to do anything that would void the warranty!
OK, moving on. First things first: ensure that the right type of outlet is near the location of your fireplace wall mount. If you want to really go the extra mile, you may want to move the outlet in the wall so that the cord is well hidden behind the fireplace. But you don't have to. The easiest thing to do is to run the cord safely along the wall or baseboard using cord securing hooks or even cord covers, which can be painted to match the color of your wall.
Here are the tools you’ll need for your fireplace wall mount:
- Electric drill
- Screwdriver (Phillips head)
- Liquid or laser level
- Stud finder
- Yardstick or tape measure
A Three-Step Installation Process
Each individual wall-mount electric fireplace wall mount will have its own set of installation instructions from the manufacturer so make sure to follow them. But basically, installation involves three general steps:
- Attaching the mounting bracket to the wall
- Attaching the firebox to the mounting bracket
- Attaching the screen to the firebox
Typically, a wall mounted electric fireplace is delivered in two separate boxes. One box contains the screen of the wall mounted fireplace, and the other box contains the mounting bracket, hardware and firebox. Some models instruct you to attach the screen to the firebox and place it to the mounting bracket so you'll want to definitely read the manufacturer instructions.
For extra security, we recommend that you attach the bracket to the wall by drilling into the 2 x 4 wall studs. See our special notes below to get this step right.
Mounting the bracket is the hardest part. Now, it's time to install the firebox or firebox + glass screen (depending on the instructions). If you're going to go the latter route, make sure that you don’t lift the fireplace by the glass screen -- make sure to lift the fireplace by the firebox for maximum safety.
And you know better than to lift anything that might be too heavy -- call a friend and ask for help! Make sure to look at the instruction diagrams to see where the firebox attaches to the bracket, and where the glass attaches to the firebox. But aside from lifting, this is the easy part!
Special Notes for Installing Your Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace Bracket
- First, locate the studs. You can do this by tapping the wall and listening for a solid sound. You can also use a stud finder so you won't have to second-guess yourself. Move the stud finder across the wall horizontally. Usually they will light up, make a beeping noise, or both when you find a stud. Typically, the next stud would be around 16 inches to the left or right as per conventional construction, but double-check to be sure.
- Next, secure the mounting bracket to the studs for maximum strength. If the studs don't match up with the dimensions of the mounting bracket, secure one end into a stud and use an anchor bolt to secure the mismatched end. It's important that the anchor bolt can carry the weight of the fireplace so check the package to be sure.
- Lastly, before you make holes for your electric fireplace wall mount, use a spirit or laser level to ensure that the mounting bracket is also level. Do this twice along with your measurements before drilling holes in your wall.
OK, so you'll have to do a bit of math, but the good news is you probably won't need to hire a handyman to enjoy the light and heat of electric flames which just might become your new favorite furnishing.
Ready to take the plunge now you know it's easy? Check out our collection of wall mount electric fireplaces and see which models might be right for you!
Pin this Post:
- Tags: Electric Fireplaces